When I was in HS, we once caught a baby skunk and kept it for several days. Mild odor. Don't remember how it was disposed of - probably released in same area. Probably then died. Teenagers ain't too smart.

Then there was the scheme to get rich, trapping raccoons. Art Mortfedt had the traps, I had the car... the third or so time we got sent home from school for skunk smell, that plan kinda fell thru. I gave up trapping.

Far as I know, Art is still trapping, not in NoDak, but up on the south slope of the Brooks Range (no skunks!). We both wound up in Alaska a few years later, independently. It was about 30 years before I ran into him again at the Sourdough Cafe one morning in Fairbanks. He has been more adventuresome than I. He has a lodge/guides out of S. Slope of Brooks Range and has flown his light plane to both poles, goferred at S Pole research stations, and been on Antarctic meteorite recovery trip, etc..

He said he doesn't like to get south of the Alaska Range, unless its Antarctica. His wife taught for years in Manley Hot Springs, where I stage out of for my remote cabin down-river, but somehow we were never there at the same time.

You can google him, but he neglected the skunk part in there.... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.