If you take HWY 50 west of Poncha Springs, there is a road that cuts off to the north about 1-2 miles west and it eventually heads west and ends up right on the Colorado Trail a few hundred yards south of where the trail goes up Mt Shavano. If you take that trail up a few miles to when you are right on the ridge, you cut off and bushwhack on down into the drainage to the north. It is not steep. I took the wife up there when scouting and then led two mules up to timberliine for the hunt
Then follow that drainage up to timberline.There is a small lake fairly far up there. Right at timberline along the creek there is a spot that has been used by goat hunters in the past. ( I am one of them)I saw some nice bucks in that drainage. There is about a 1000 foot climb if you go off to the north of that drainage and it ends up on a ridge looking down into another big bowl. I killed my goat in that one

Both of those drainages are remote and you won't find any people in them. You will see a few on the Colorado Trail and the to Mt Shavano.

I think I still have topo maps showing where to bail off the Mt Shavano trail

Last edited by saddlesore; 06/09/16.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles