This maybe should be in a separate thread but you mentioned a fire starting kit for grandkids. Here is a version of what I gave to each of mine. It all goes in a Dollar Store school pencil pouch, below.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Flint & steel; thin fatwood slabs that can be split by fingers if needed; storm proof lighter (which I don't much like); some firestarter "cookies"; windproof matches & striker; Sol reflector blanket; and a whistle. Missing is a finger diameter candle an inch long that is in all the other kits.

If going without a daypack, I take along the flint & steel and a few firestarter wafers in a pocket.

[Linked Image]

I like the angled head on some piezo electric lighters better than I like the expensive storm proof lighter. Both shown below. The angled head is a much easier design to actually start a fire.

[Linked Image]

One of our homemade firestarter "cookies" under construction below. A big table spoon of slightly waxed fatwood sawdust is placed in a mini-cupcake paper, placed in a small metal cup, hammered into a tight cake, and a greased cotton ball stuck on top. The paper top folds over the half full cake and that goes into a mini-Ziploc.

I have a bucket of waxed fatwood saw dust in my garage, and can make ten years supply of these cupcakes in an hour.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Okanagan; 06/13/16.