Took your advice.

Out of the stock it was squeeky clean.

After some experimentation, it became clear that with the barreled action upside down, the only way was to to pull the front screw on the trigger group and then pivot it upward, being careful not to lose the tiny ejector spring. As the rear of the trigger group is retained by a pin everything (except that tiny GDMed spring), is kept together. Now the bolt can be removed.

There are two things that keep it from being removed. The first is the ejector. Instead of the usual Mauser design, this one comes up from the bottom and is slotted into the bolt. Pushing it down allows the bolt to come back a bit to where the sear stops it. Even after removing the bolt (see above) neither pulling or pushing the trigger does anything to the sear. Only with the rifle cocked and locked will the sear release to fire the rifle.

While I had the rifle apart, I cleaned the bore down to bare metal with Wipe Out followed by Sweet's followed by JB followed by brake cleaner. The new Lyman bore scope is just great to see if all the copper is really gone.(it is)
Finally I applied the Dyna Tech bore coating (my first try with it)

Guess I'll be cleaning it (happily not often, if the DT lives up to the hype)) with Wipe Out and a pull thru.

Dam ndest thing I've ever seen. The action is basically a small ring Kurtz action. Just wondering why they could not have used the simple Mauser bolt release & ejector setup ???

LouisB thanks for the advice !

Also did 2 other rifles at the same time: a S&L M54 in 7x61 and a Marlin XL7 rebarreled with a med hvy 280 AI bbl made for a Savage (bought here). Both rifles were already tack drivers so the DT should only help.

The only trouble with having the Lyman borescope is that you see that even a fine Danish steel bbl like the 7x61 is not like a mirror inside.

Thanks to all, it seems BSA's were "unique".

Last edited by stlooiearch; 07/04/16.