Originally Posted by Robert_White
Originally Posted by x2mosg
I'm anxiously awaiting Aero Precision's M5E2 (Gen2) upper to be released. If it doesn't suit me I'll probably go with a Mega upper/lower combo. From there, probably a Krieger barrel, JP BCG, SLR adj block, etc...

Three days ago Aero told me they had 44 M5E's in stock. I would have bought one but I was not clear in my mind what rail/guard was congruent and they could not quickly explain. I got the impression, (and I could be wrong) that the M5E fit to handguard is proprietary. If anyone knows better please let me know.

I was altogether ignorant that the ones coming on line the end of this month were Gen2. The Aero website can be frustrating.

Robert,

The "E" uppers do use the Aero handguards. If you look at the pictures you can see they don't have standard threads for a regular barrel nut, but have a mount for the handguard. That mount actually has female threads and a proprietary barrel nut that has male threads. This video will sort of show you how that works. Skip ahead to about the 2 minute mark to get through all the useless crap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAEBXpHnHkY

So that leaves you to decide whether you want to use Aero's handguard or you want something different. I'm gonna get a good look at the Gen2 before I buy anything. If not impressed, I'll go with their standard M5 upper and add a different handguard. Or maybe just go with a Mega receiver set.

Hope that helps clarify. I've been studying up for a little while now, asking questions, learning as I go hopefully.