Originally Posted by muleshoe
Very cool picture.

Originally Posted by SamOlson

To me the hardest animal to sell will always be an old(open..) cow.

Always a little sad loading them up on the semi bound for the sales ring.

This.

A couple months ago I hauled off an old cow that I pulled out of her momma 17 years ago. She always had very good gaining calves without ever a worry up thru '14. For some reason she missed the last 2 years and she headed to the sale barn back in June.

Happened to catch of picture of her and her last calf. The bull had hopped over the fence and had his way with her a month earlier than he should have, so baby was a bit sooner than expected. This particular calf just had her first baby back in March. Hopefully number one of many.

[Linked Image]

I work for an outfit that owned one of the top bulls in the Angus breed for a number of years. As the bull got old, the owner told the manager better get him in and across the ring before it's too late to get anything out of him. Manager told him no one on that ranch was hauling that bull to town. If he wanted him hauled to the salebarn, he'd have to do it himself. Owner was elderly so it never happened. Bull died on the place and they had his head mounted and buried the bull.

Montana MOFO