Going to purchase a McMillan for my rifle build. Form on McMillan site for in letting is in in depth and thorough and seemingly straight forward. My problem is when reading the discriptions on their hunting stocks I am confused on their barrel inlet size maximums.
I want as compact a stock as possible with a traditional slim (non palm swelled) pistol grip, non beaver tailed forearmed stock that I can have inleted for my rifle.
My build will be a Remington 700 short action single shot action with a REMAGE Criterion barrel and barrel nut. The barrel contour is a Criterion light varmint.

For example the McMillan classic Remington Hunter info says it will accept up to a #5 barrel contour yet it has a 1.72" wide forearm. The Criterion light varmint is just over .800 thick. 1.72" would seem to be wide enough and leave enough side to the forearm to work.
Are the recommendations on max barrel size because a larger diameter barrel will absolutely not work or is it just a recomended max size by their opinion?
I have seen pics of Mcmillans that recomend smaller barrels with bigger barrels inletted in them.
If you understand my maybe somewhat confusing question please share your McMillan knowledge!

Last edited by Gitsum; 09/20/16.