"- this cartridge is designed to fit a standard length action, correct?" Yes. Case length is 2.500 inches.
<br>
<br>"- the only load/ballistics data I can find reference Barnes bullets. Does any other information exist?" I don't know of any other published data, but considering that any wise handloader starts with lighter charges, the data with Barnes bullets apply as well to other brands.
<br>
<br>"- where can one obtain dies/reamers/etc? Any good reamer-maker can make 'em from the drawing in my book (and on the cover). I can supply a dimensioned drawing to any reamer shop that doesn't have one.
<br>
<br>"- do you have a diagram and dimensions of the case handy?" Not handy but available.
<br>
<br>"- any special tips or tricks for forming brass?" Get forming and loading dies from CH4D or RCBS and follow the instructions. Be sure to get the inside-neck-reaming die and reamer.
<br>
<br>"- all other information you might recall about it." I wrote a piece that I called "Three Wildcats for Africa," which DBI published as "Three More for Africa," in one of the 1980s DBI books -- the 10th edition of the Handloader's Digest, I think. There's enough information and load data there to get you off to a good start.
<br>
<br>Also, John Ricks (see threads on the Campfire and Accurate Reloading) has my original reamer, etc, and has been building .416 Howell rifles. He can help you better than I can, by far.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.