Originally Posted by Wally
There is a gentleman over on the accurateshooter.com forums who goes by "sparker". He tuned up a Redding #2 scale for me a few years ago, and made a big difference in how it performed. He is highly regarded on that forum, if you want to do a search on him. My personal experience with him was excellent. If anyone is thinking of staying with a beam balance scale, I would recommend a chat with him.

There's an active thread over on accurateshooter.com which "sparker" (Scott Parker) started. For those of you with the excellent old Lyman (Ohaus) M5, I found the OEM damping magnets in mine had declined over the decades, and the damping action was too slow. I did a lot of experimenting with tiny, powerful neodymium magnets as replacements, and came up with what I consider to be an excellent and inexpensive magnet replacement solution for the M5. I posted my solution in Parker's thread, you can view my post here:

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/on-beam-scales-part-two.3906350/page-8#post-36833260

The entire thread (including Parker's OP of course) is well worth reading. He has some things to say about the ubiquitous RCBS 5-0-5 which you may not want to hear - they're why I bought my old M5 off Ebay some time ago. I plan to have Parker super-tune my M5 some day soon.

Brian

Last edited by brians356; 09/23/16.