Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
Hey guys, I have and AR-10 that I am hoping to use as a dual purpose weapon system- urban tactical and short range hunting. I was thinking of which optic to put on it. I have been shying away from putting a traditional hunting optic on it as that would be not very effective on the go when I can't have a nice steady shot and concentrate on things like eye relief.

So I was thinking about going with a quality red dot instead. Obviously, that would be best for tactical shooting but my question is, how far out can I realistically expect to use something like the Aimpoint pro on medium size game? I have two concerns. First is the obvious topic of magnification. How far out at 1x can I make an accurate shot on game? And secondly, how much of an error is the dot MOA size going to impact how far out I can expect to shoot.

My off the cuff guess is that I should be just fine 0-200 yards and for a good broad side still shot, I can probably reach out to 300 yards. Any thoughts or experience hunting with a red dot?

Thanks,
Rob

I've shot deer with irons to right at 600, iron covering over MOA in size.... you just have to shoot em enough to know whtas what.

Since I hunt a bit in thicker stuff I don't do irons or dots anymore, they don't allow me to see if there is a twig or such in the way... just what works for me after trailing a deflected bullet hit deer for almost 6 hours years ago in a swamp...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....