90 percent of our everyday gunsmithing does not involve a lathe or mill. A small hammer, good punches, smooth jawed vise, an assortment of files and stones is what pays the bills. Never finance anything. Nothing will kill your business faster than a loan on top of your regular overhead. When you start machining of any kind now requires an ITAR annual registration fee of $2250 in addition to your 01 FFL Gunsmith/dealer license. Plan on going full time or just doing it for yourself. Pretty hard to justify the operational overhead for a part time hobby unless you like working for free. You must show a profit in a few years or the IRS can declare you a hobby and retro every expense since you started as taxable. Making a profit is also an ATF requirement for licensing. Make sure your zoning and neighbors approve as it only takes one complaint to get you shut down by the city or county.

After almost 9 years full time I rarely go shooting for fun. Last thing I want to do in my spare time is talk about or play with guns. I'd rather play with my and my friends race cars.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO