There are some things to consider here that cover a wide range of use.

First to increase the tire size more then the lift is required. If you have for instance 3.73 axle ratios and a 30" tire you would need 4.10 axles ratios to use 35" tires. This would keep the balance of power and the MPG relatively close. It would also allow your low gears to remain low rather then kinda low.

Next thought is what is it for? for looks, or for function? If you say function, then tire size becomes nearly irrelevant. the function will come from a very good rear diff lock device. The reality of 4x4 trucks is that they are under the worst case conditions only driving two wheels, one front and one rear. the other two are just spinning free without solid traction or off the ground.

So...... to do this properly and have your cake and eat it too. You need to add either a quality gear driven ( no friction lube) limited slip, or a mechanical or electrical locker possibly pneumatic or cable driven from the driver seat. Then at the same time you're adding this brilliant device, you change the ring and pinions to 4:10 or whatever the ratio calculates out to be. After which you can lift 4" and put the bigger tires on.

Okay this it the correct method to accomplish this. However it's about 5000.00 bucks give or take a 1000 bucks plus new Alloy wheels to fit the new tires properly.

This is the reason 99% of the lifted trucks you see are for show only! My current Ram 2500 with the diesel is set up this way. It's an astonishing vehicle off road. Plus I can pull anything I choose. It was a very high level of commitment to accomplish these additional benefits. However it did not come without a learning process and problems I cannot overcome. Diesels are not a good choice for a really great off road truck. They are just too heavy. The way my truck is set up but on a half ton gas engine pickup would be flawless. Although not for towing.

There will be trade offs in any choice you make. no one vehicle fits all applications, no one tire choice fits all applications. Figure out what you want to have as an end game and then work towards that. Just remember that nothing period makes a truck perform better then a rear limited slip or selectable locker.

Once you have both backs and one front rotating under full power your whole capability changes off road. It's like a 100% different and better vehicle.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)