Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by SamOlson
When the crosshair holders are required to comfortably fit inside a snug fitting scabbard, certain scopes make more sense than others.

Or if you require long range precision something other a 6x36 with frikken dots might be a good idea.

I guess 270 shooters just aren't that tactical.

Or it seems if you require the scope to stay zeroed.....

Has nothing to do with "tactical" or not. Nor, "tactical sniper style hunting", and everything to do with optics that work. At one point nearly every rifle I owned had Leupold 6x scopes. It wasn't until the 4th or 5th died, that I finally admitted that yes, they too have issues.

Like it or not, you take jabs at those who recommend scopes that actually work, and then your recommendation broke.... In the exact way that has been stated that they go.

NO ONE would love for Leupold to get their act together more than I, but facts is facts, and the fact is the aiming system is the single most likely failure point on the rifle. I can get a scabbard that'll fit a scope with low profile turrets and a 32mm objective. Can you hit with a scope when it stops working?

I used to be one of the biggest fixed 6 Leupold cheer leaders on this site. The last two I killed, one died around 1000 rounds and the second around 250. Made a post to that effect and had people coming out of the woodwork fussing and complaining. The funniest was Burns insisting there was nothing wrong with the scope - I just didn't know how to use it. Wanted me to ship it to him to evaluate.

I wish the Leupolds lasted like the SWFA SS's. I would love to have a FX-3 6x42 w/ M1 on my Kimber. Since I swapped everything over to SWFA I haven't had a single problem....

David