Hey guys.

I have been in correspondence with Green Mountain Barrel Co concerning them making some .366" barrel blanks with 1-10" or 1-11" twist. We are just at the "talking stage" right now, but I am hoping this will go forward.

The 9.3X62 cartridge is an excellent hunting round that is not super popular here in the USA, (yet) but seems to be up and coming. The bullet companies seem to know it. Barnes, Hornady, Swift, Nosler, and Speer all make bullets for them here in the USA, and Woodleigh, Norma, Lapua, RWS and Prvi make them overseas. Possibly a few others I am unaware of too.

The old black powder 9.3s were often rifled at about 1-20" and some were used with soft lead, paper patched bullets. As smokeless powders came into use the twist was tightened up. Today the 2 most common twists are 1-14" and 1-12" but some shooters say the 1-12" is just barely enough twist to keep 320 grain bullets stable. So I am suggesting they make these barrels with a 1-11 or 1-10 twist. Firing a 225 grain bullet from the fast twist is just fine, but firing the long heavy 320 from the slower twist is sometimes not fine, so I can see no reason to even make the slow twist. I own a Ruger 9.3X74R with a 1-10" twist and it does just fine with all bullets from 225 gr to 325 gr

Anyway, I am putting feelers out on line.

How many of you would be interested in buying a barrel blank (or maybe a few) for a 9.3X62, a 9.3X64 or a 9.3X74R with a 1-10" twist?

Green Mountain said they would consider making a run of 100 of them if there was a market. I am pretty sure there is.

These are blanks, so they are for the gunsmiths and shooters that can do their own work. Untapered and unthreaded. 25" or 27" long. 1.200 in diameter. Price should be about $125 each from what I am gathering from them.

If you are interested please post a note here, or PM me, or it may even be better to simply call Green Mountain and tell them you would be interested if they were to make them.

The 9.3X62 and the 9.3X74R are both wonderful in their effectiveness and the thing that makes them so interesting to many is the amount of power available with a far lower recoil than you'd expect.

Last edited by szihn; 12/13/16.