Originally Posted by bt8897
This has to be the most confusing marketing I have ever heard of... Does Laurel and Hardey run the marketing department?? Who's on first...???

I don't think that Leupold cares, 'cause they're only concerned with selling new scopes and didn't consider that the ambiguity of their naming scheme might cause used scope buyers some aggravation.

I think that Leupold did a poor job of differentiating the early VX-I/VX-II from the later scopes with the exact same name and then by changing from Roman Numerals to Arabic Numerals which look different, but still sound the same. Quite a few of the used Leupold VX-I/VX-II scopes being sold on eBay are being advertised as the newer, optically superior, and more valuable VX-1/VX-2 scopes.

Previously, Leupold did a good job of clearly differentiated their scopes when they were upgraded. For example, the Vari-X became the Vari-X II when it was upgraded, then the Vari-X II became the Vari-X IIc when it was upgraded, then the Vari-X IIc split into both the VX-I and VX-II lines when it was upgraded.