Originally Posted by Bobcape
I don't understand why the NICS need any info about the firearm to do the background check. The dealer has to tell if you are buying a handgun, rifle or shotgun. It makes no sense since, by law, they can't keep the data from the background checks. So why do they need to know what type of firearm is being purchased? It's supposed to only be a check to see if the purchaser is a prohibited person.

Bob

Government following the law, right they are so good at that. I am fairly certain that there is at least short term storage of NICS data and likely a complete database.

A situation that has always made me wonder about NICS keeping data was with my Remington 597 in 17HMR.

The gun was recalled several years after I got it. It was bought new all legal NICS check was done. I never filed anything with remington as far as a warranty card or ever had work done on the firearm by them. I got a letter from remington stating the gun was recalled.

Ok nice to get the notice but where did my info come from??? Did they go to the distributor get a list of retailers then call them or go to them to check records. I doubt it. But perhaps a call to whoever.gov asking for info on buyers that bought the recall effected model. Same may say put down the tinfoil but a searchable gov database makes the most sense. The gun was produced for seven years. Had to be many thousands out there. Be a huge task to track them down retailer by retailer.