Originally Posted by bwinters
Originally Posted by Brad
Bill, open your mind to the 6x36. grin

I've had a pile of 2-7's. Never used them on anything other than the highest setting, including on close cover elk. Finally saw the light, ditched them, and went to the better 6x36.

I hear ya - except they weigh the same (6x36: 10 oz, 2-7: 9.9oz) and I like a bit more versatility with 2-7. My scopes spend alot of time on 3 power. The 2 elk I shot last year in the timber were both shot on 3 power - with a 270 moving a 150 at 3000+. Seems oxymoronic <G>

On the scale, they're not the same. Close, but the 2-7 is .5 oz heavier. Obviously .5 oz is converstaional.

Had a 2-7x33 LRD here last month. Sent it back. Forgot how much more I like the 2.5-8x36 over it. Ditto the 6x36.

The real weight of the 6x36 is 9.5 oz's per electronic scale.

4 of the last 5 bulls I've shot were with 6x at 50, 40, 40, and 80 yards. The 50 yard one was moving through thick timber, and I put the crosshairs ahead of him in a small opening between two trees and shot the second I got a flash of hide. Anchored him right through both lungs. No need for less than 6X, and really I found it easier with more X's to pick the spot well. That was with a 2-7x33 set on 6x. Had enough of those experiences with the 2-7 over the years I just switched to fixed 6X.

Nothing in the world wrong with the 2-7. Have used them from New York to Alaska, Missouri to Montana. These days I just far and away the simpler, brighter, lighter, more durable 6x36.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery