I still think that your stock in related to Herters, although it may not be a product of their shop.

Remember, at this time Herters was selling their semi-inletted blanks to anyone, anywhere, they could ship them to. It was just trimmed and fitted out to his or his customers taste.

Herters stock blanks were characterized by a surplus of wood. I have a rifle stocked in the early 60's in one of their cherry blanks. Very heavy. A friend bought a Fajen stock for his large ring 98 at the same time. I swear it was a pound lighter. Herte semi-inlets were characterized by plenty of wood to "cusmize."

Whoever stocked and checkered your rifle did exelent job. I wish my old large ring 98 looked as good. This was the era of the garage and basement gunsmith. There were many good, cheap surple actions and parts. No big FFL rules to prohibit the work. Many men did metal work. Some did stock work, and some just checkered. Some did all. The good old days.

People shooting people, blowing up things. Sad for all. I mostly miss the loss of cheap actions and parts to play with. Another confession of a rifle looney....

I am in the correct place.