My thread on blood trails and how one hunts has gotten me to to ask another. I'm interested in others experiences. Of all the deer I've killed, over 100, all but two have been standing or walking slowly. Those two were wounded by others. One I hit. The other was hit by the other guy or me, both shot at the same time and the deer went down. Some of those standing were obviously aware of me and about to bound, but I shot first. As I recall other than those two only one other was shot off hand. I could be wrong, some were shot over 50yrs ago. A few were shot using elbows. But, well over 95% were shot using some form of rest. I've used sticks, unipods biods, tripods, window sills in blinds, trees different parts of a truck and sandbags on various surfaces. Probably 90% of my shots have been under 200yds or so, the vast majority between 75-125yds with only two at 300yds or so. What are your shots like? I have found others experiences fascinating. Thanks again captdavid

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!