So I get back out cruising again, and stop on the west side of a favorite scenic overlook. With the wind out of the northwest, it narrows down where the varmints might be laying. It took only a minute to two to spot something laying on a snow drift in the fence row in the middle of the section. The sun had just came up, so being mostly in the shade, it was tough to tell if it was a coyote or a red fox. I had spotted a fox the day before just across the road from where I was, so I didn't want to waste my time sneaking in on Mr Red if that's what it was. The rangefinder said 1197 yards.

So I drove over to the south end, and there I could confirm that it was Wile E.Coyote. 992 yards, but no way to approach from there, so I drove over to the east side out of sight, and parked by the fence row he was curled up in. Gathered up my stuff and started in. The snow still had a noisy crust on it, so slo mo was the order of the day.

I had bookmarked a couple small trees in the fence that he was laid up by, and the closer I got, I realized it wasn't going to work. I was still 400 yards out, but the ground had a small rise to it, and by the time I figured I would get to where I might get a shot, I would blow him out before even spotting him. So I back tracked a bit, then hung a left to circle around towards him. Well schit, that wasn't going to work either, still due to the rise.

Last chance....I reversed to a little pile of trees & brush in the middle of the field, went prone in the shade in front, and gave 3-4 short series of the bunny blues. Less than 2 minutes in, here he comes. He started and stopped a couple of times, and at the 100 yard mark, worried he might spot my truck, I took the head on shot. A couple of spins & down for the count. 22-204 with the 80 grain Bergers.

[Linked Image]