Originally Posted by TWR

I just wonder about the mid-length gas on an 18" barrel.

The Krieger that I have currently is 18" w/ rifle gas with a .108 port size, non-adjustable gas block, & it runs perfectly with a carbine weight buffer & a stock spring with 55 - 77 grain bullets, with mild to fairly stiff (IMI) loads. (I do plan to try a slightly heavier buffer as that gun is intended to mainly shoot heavy bullets.)

But I just completed a new gun with an 18" WOA barrel & both WOA & Compass Lake suggested that they prefer an 18" barrel with mid-gas, so that's what I did, but with an adjustable gas block; have not shot it yet as I just put the barrel on this past Monday, so we'll see when it warms up enough to be comfortable shooting for any period of time for testing.

Compass Lake sells Krieger(& Bartlien) barrels fully contoured to SPR configurations in 18" as a cataloged item, but they specify mid-gas for both.

They would probably do rifle gas as a special order.

IMO, the SPR contour would likely fit the OP's needs perfectly, w/o being too heavy & if he wants it lighter, they'll flute it as well...............after all, it's only money, & if you're buying a Krieger or a Bartlien, what a few bucks more? wink

I decided on the WOA barrel instead of another Krieger mainly because it was quite a lot less money & I don't think that the (possible) extra performance from the Krieger would be enough to really matter for me.......time will tell & Compass Lake is beyond good for chambering & finishing the barrel & likely will deliver it as fast, if not faster, than Krieger will.

Compass Lake SPR Barrels

MM