It's been a long time since my initial posts, but here's a follow up on my rifle.

I just finished mounting a VX-3i 2.5-8x36 in dual dovetail rings. I bore sighted it but haven't been to the range to try it yet. Here's how it looks:

[Linked Image]

The new scope definitely looks much better on this rifle than the 50mm I took off it. That big scope will go on a varmint rifle or something.

I also took a closer look at the barrel channel. It apparently was machined crooked to the receiver way back when, so the barrel rubbed along the left edge at tip of the stock.

I made a rounded scraping tool (using a a sharpened edge on a steel washer the was about the right size) and removed enough wood to make the gap on either side of the barrel similar. Then I carefully sanded it down smooth to match, and finally finished the sanded area with many many coats of tung oil (which I let dry thoroughly between applications). You can't even notice the wood work I did and now the barrel is uniformly free floated.

I did this whole process before investing in an optic and wanted to prove the rifle could shoot first. I didn't save groups, but it shot well enough to satisfy me.

Oh, and I also set the trigger weight to 3 pounds- and locked the nuts into place! The trigger before had been uncomfortably light for my taste in a hunting rifle at just under 2 pounds. When I looked at it, I found the lock nuts weren't even tight! I'm glad I decided to adjust the trigger.

So now I'll get it sighted in and enjoy shooting it over the spring and summer and be ready to go come deer season.