Originally Posted by plainview
TxVince

The majority of my elk hunting over the last 17 years has been in units 86 & 861. During that period my family and I have killed 18 elk in those two areas. 5 of them were mine, all cows.

Not one of the 18 was killed on the national forest.

Based on the most recent available statistics, (2015) you have a 13% chance in 86 and an 18% chance in 861. This is for all seasons, sexes and manner of take. For the 2nd rifle in 86 (which is what I assume you are most interested in) you would have a 18% chance of an antlered and a 11% chance of antlerless ... unit wide.

I have seen elk within a quarter mile of my home below Alvarado and from there all the way to the very top of Horn Peak.

I can assure you a public land hunt in those units will not be easy. Not impossible, but far, far from easy.

The short answer to your question is yes, you can day hunt from your cabin. There will be elk within 3-4 miles and on the NF. I've done it. I don't recommend it. Staying in a spike camp at 11,000 feet will give you a great deal of advantage ... because, in my experience most elk are killed just at sunrise or sundown. That's my opinion. (I've also killed a bull at noon while sitting under a tree eating a sandwich) If you are in position at first light your odds of success will vastly increase.

If you want to know more, PM me.

Very good info Plain. Its sounds like if you want to take an elk here, you will no doubt have to earn it. Our group will be up for a week to 10 days so we should have some time to acclimate. Lord knows we'll need it.
Awesome pic in the late season. Just goes to show that anything can happen while hunting, no matter how much you plan or think things will unfold a certain way. One of the many enjoyable aspects of hunting. I like the idea of a spike camp. I think it will be the best way to get scouting done too(stay in the woods method). It will give more opportunity to take an elk also, cause I've heard you can't kill an elk sitting at camp!
I'll do some more research and PM you with question if you don't mind. Thank you!

Alamosa, that all sounds good too. Great pics btw! I am also one that likes to lace up and hit the country. It's almost therapeutic. The sangres will be a much bigger challenge than the hills here in TX, but I should be ready....ready enough smirk lol. I'll be sure to check out the map for the burn location. That fresh grass may be gold to elk when food is scarce.

Again, thank you guys so much for the knowledge. I'll have to buy some cold barley soup for y'all when i come up! (beer)

Last edited by TxVince; 02/22/17.