Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
If you find AR rifles more comfy to carry and handle, good for you. I don't.

Then why come to this section of the 'Fire, if you don't want to learn anything, and dispute everything that anyone says?

It sounds like you just came here to bitch and show everyone how much you dislike AR's.

You are right about some of us using what we want to use.

Thank God we still still have that Freedom in America. smile

You need to check your premises. The fact that I find tool ‘A’ better suited to task ‘X’ doesn’t mean I dislike tool ‘B’ and wouldn’t find ‘B’ better suited to other tasks. The fact is I LIKE AR rifles for a variety of reasons, which is why I have two, with a third being built, and have bought ARs for my daughters.

I asked why people choose to hunt with AR type rifles because I wanted to learn and I’m certainly not disputing ‘everything that anyone says’. That said, opinions are not facts and when someone gets the facts wrong or states an opinion as fact it obfuscates the truth.

Yondering posted a pic of an AR and claimed it was ‘slimmer, shorter, and lighter’ than my levergun. Well, no. My B92 lever is slimmer than any AR I’ve seen, more than a full pound lighter than Yondering’s AR and only about 1.5” longer than an AR with a 16” barrel. My .308 Ruger Scout bolt rifle is almost 7 ounces lighter than Yondering’s AR and only an inch longer. Never mind that I was talking about ‘svelte’ bolt rifles and leverguns, not necessarily just my own. A Remington Model 7 with a 20” barrel comes in at just 3” longer and almost 3 ounces lighter. Ruger Compacts come in about half an inch shorter and almost a pound lighter. Those are facts, not opinions. That I’d rather hunt big game with any of them than an AR is an opinion. As stated earlier, if hunting pigs or varmints I might prefer an AR.

There are more factors contributing to the handiness of a rifle than slimness, weight and length. Balance and ergonomics play a big role as well and they are often more important than minor differences in the others. The ‘handiness’ of a rifle is inevitably an opinion based on considering the various factors and coming to a decision based on personal priorities. Yondering thinks ARs are handier than ‘svelte bolt rifles and leverguns’. Good for him and I hope he enjoys using ARs throughout a long and happy life. But that is his opinion, not a universal fact.

Yes, thank God we still have the freedom to choose the tools we prefer.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.