I've tagged out on The Opener several times over the years, and I really could not have been happier. In fact in 1991 and 1992 I nailed the biggest bucks I'd had taken to date from the same tree on the same day. These remain my #1 and #2 bow kills.

1996, I was in with my buck before 0900

2003, I was tagged out within 10 minutes of the start of season with my largest buck to date

2007, Ditto. This was my #1 buck of all time as well as the camp's record.

2014, my son and I both tagged our bucks before 9 AM on the Opener. We shot our bucks 300 yards apart, but they fell less than 50 yards apart. It made it really easy to get them out in the truck-- only took 1 trip.

2016, We had three bucks on the pole before sundown on Sunday, including the #2 and #4 all-time bucks at our camp. I got the biggest, my buddy nailed one with a bigger rack. My son nailed his #2 all-time.

Truth is, in the Trans-Bluegrass, the Rifle Opener in Mid-November is the absolute best time to get a shot at the big bucks in the woods. If you go too far into the first week, the Rut has usually calmed down and the deer are off acorns and feeding in the field. If it's going to rain monsters, it's going to happen Opening Weekend.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer