Her name is Brandy. She is about 6 years old. She showed up at my house as a stray when she was about 12 weeks old, thin, pickled with ticks and feverish.

I got rid of the ticks and fed properly she recovered fast. A few months later I took her to the vet for the first time and got her shots etc. On their check in questionnaire it asked if I wanted her tested for tick born diseases and given her initial condition I decided to have her tested.

She tested positive for Erlichia but my vet said it wasn't something they treat, just monitor her. Long story short, here we are over 5 years later and Brandy stops jumping up in the truck or on anything and slowly starts eating less but was still maintaining her weight. Suddenly about 3 weeks ago she became lethargic and stopped participating in normal activities and stopped eating completely. Right away I thought it must be Erlichia so I took her to a different vet. My heart sank when I learned it was treatable all along.

Before she quit eating, she was drinking water excessively but that has slowed some. She still drinks more than normal.

The new vet ran a comprehensive battery of tests and said the only thing truly out of whack was her white blood cell count which was 33 or 36k and should have been 16. She had no fever.

He gave he an injection of antibiotics and another of a steroid. and sent her home with doxycycline and nutrical. She started eating again and ate for 2 days and stopped again so I brought her back in and he gave her another antibiotic injection and we stopped the doxy hoping she would start eating again. She didn't and was barely walking at this point so back again to the vet and he kept her for 4 days and fed her with a syringe and nutrical with no improvement.
The vet doesn't think it is the tick disease but doesn't know what it is. All along she has had no fever at all.

Last night I got to thinking maybe it was the Seresto collar I put on her the first week of Dec. So today the vet removed the collar and bathed her and sent her home with me.

She can barely walk and cannot support herself in a squat for toilet activities. Won't eat, I have to syringe feed her. I'm at a loss, she is my only companion. If anyone has any ideas I'd be glad to hear them.

[Linked Image]

She is the black dog. I lost the golden one, Emmy Roo last Sep 25th to coyotes.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$