True that the cost of the bullet is insignificant vs the total cost of the hunt. True that premiums are required for high velocity magnums. True that lowly calibers like the 06 cannot push a std bullet fast enough to come apart in most cases if the proper weight bullet is used. However a lot of folks will go ahead and take a marginal shot thinking the premium bullet is going to make up the diference. I have used Noslers in a 7 mag and 300 mag. The critters died about the same as using Sierras. Most of my elk are shot within 50 yards in heavy timber so a 220 gr Rn Sierra does the job in an 06. This year a 50 caliber maxiball did the same. Of course I hunt within 100 miles of my home, and don't hunt bear or dangerous game.I also think, judging by what I see at the range that some hunters/shooters tend not to practice as much with the premiums.So if you think you need them, use them, but don't belittle the hunters that still use the standards. The proof in the pudding is the game on the ground, downed with a well placed shot.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles