Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
What Fred said.

What are the rifles? I'd be thinking in terms of long-term, rebuildable, quality "platform"... meaning an action and stock and trigger etc. worth rebarreling when the 6.5-284 is shot out. Which won't be too long. Remington M700 being the obvious choice.

LR shooting is seriously addictive and once you get rolling you'll be amazed how fast the round count stacks up... and 6.5-284 isn't known for long barrel life. At any rate, don't run max loads or you'll toast that thing FAST. Online, when I was researching 6.5's (I'm building a 6.5 SAUM, almost done) guys would talk about seeing accuracy start to fall off on the 6.5-284 in 600 rounds! You easily could do that in a couple MONTHS. My advice, for what it's worth, run moderate loads with a slow powder. Don't chase that last 150 fps.

You're gonna have a lot of fun. Great choice on the scope. Jealous. smile.

How many 6.5x284's have you shot out? Have you ever truly shot out a big game rifle barrel?

I think the Pac-Nor barrel on my heavy 7 WSM is getting there. It's well north of 1k rounds. It was a fantastic barrel but lately is just very good. I don't own a borescope. I'll probably try setting it back here soon if it doesn't show me the love on the bullet I want to switch it to (180 Amax) and see if that brings back the magic.

My Kimber 7 WSM has got to be pushing 1k and still does this:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

.... and you can find guys saying THAT chambering kills barrels fast too. So... dunno.

To your point, my impression is that the guys toasting 6.5-284's that fast are generally competing with them. But you don't have to look very hard to find reports of 600-700 rounds barrel life. Again, that's accuracy nuts saying that, for whom a 3/4 MOA barrel is useless. So... I see your point but that's one barrel I'd be cautious about getting too attached to, assuming I was shootin' the crap out of it.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!