Originally Posted by Sanchez
Well, it first started with basically handgun cartridges in rifles with given cartridge dimensions. One9 of the wildcats that was developed as a work around was the 358 Hoosier. I reload those and its essentially a shortened 308 Win case necked up to 358 bullets. The case has to be between 1.16" and 1.8" and bullet diameter of .357 or larger for any rifles other than 30 or 243 calibers.

Are you still with me, LOL.

The DNR was supposed to open it up to regular center fire rifle cartridges last year and did not. Then a state legislator got a bill passed and the 30 Cal and 6 MM was all that was in it, plus what ever was approved previously. Also the 30 & 6 can only be used on private land, and its on a try and see basis to be reviewed at the end of 5 years I think.

Most of the big stink came from people worried about stray shots with the center fire rifles vs. shot gun and hand gun cartridges. There was even talk about limiting it to south of US 40 as it is hilly and the bullets would not stray as far.
So now we can deer hunt with a 300 Ultra Mag or a 30 Carbine or a .243 but not a 100 grain 25-06!

I think the guy that got it passed had some people telling how the bill should be and just used those calibers as an example a they became the law. Kind of like how Nome Alaska got its name.

Oh I forgot that under the rules for handguns it has to fire a bullet of at least .243" with a minimum case length of 1.16" and no maximum length. Which means you can use a 25-06 handgun.

I know TMI.

There is some question about Nome, but Chicken is a better example. They wanted to name the town Ptarmigan but no one knew how to spell it. So they went with Chicken.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.