If not for bleeding heart libs they could be cained.

So yesterday, i take a bud to hunt hogs in the west Texas desert southwest of Odessa and southeast of Kermit. When we come out just before dark and on a county road running to the south of the Odessa/Kermit hwy i see a dog sitting in the right of way. As i have left the caliche and reached the blacktop part of the County Road im going pretty fast.

As we go by the dog walks up to the roadside wagging its tail and acting friendly. Well, it takes me a ways to get stopped and pull over to get out and look for my emergency over night in the desert cans of sardines.

I had gone out of sight of the dog by the time i got stopped, but was planning on going back. By the time i found what i could give i looked up and here it came on a limping lope.

I got a plastic gallon of emergency water and cut the top off and set it out. I didnt know what to do. It wouldnt let me get close but as i drove off it was drinking water until i was a quarter mile away and lost sight of it in the rear view.

I cant believe some people are sorry enough to put a pet 30 miles from town in the desert. They think the coyotes wont kill it because its big?

Well, i got to thinking i could maybe go back and get it in the truck and at least drop it off with some food at the pound.

Of course, today the wind is 30-40 with gusts to 50 and 4 mile visibility. I got on the road at 6pm after taking a few puffs ov Advair and asthma tablets and headed west 30 miles after stopping at Dollar general for dog food and water.

Well, of course i had some trepidation as i didnt know what i might find. I got to the county road and headed south and went about half a mile and low and behold i saw there was a work truck up ahead with a man standing outside, bent over, with arm stretched out toward the dog standing facing him about 8 ft away.

I pulled up beside them and he asked if it was my dog. I told him no and explained the previous day.

I told him i had some water and food. He had the name Silva on his shirt and worked for a big pipeline co. She laid down in the grass between our two trucks as we talked over what we thought we should do. He had turned down the road on his daily trip from the Kermit/Odessa run to potty and, as we noted, she had trotted up.

He got in his truck and circled around to the south and upwind of her and opened the bed of his company truck. I cut the top off the water and placed it just downwind of the truck bed and upwind of her. She came and drank when i backed off a bit, wagging her tail happy as could be. I moved the water to the bed. No dice. He had already tried unsuccessfully to get her in earlier.

He got a hard hat and i poured a little of the gravy/meat chunk purina can in. She gobbled it up but would not get in the bed for more and wouldnt let us get beside her to lift her in.

She was pertty thin with hip bones prominent. Feeding her more from the hard hat i was eventually able to scratch under her chin and behind her ears, but we still couldnt get by her.

I gave MrSilva some money to get her some food and water to drop off for her tomorrow on his trip through.
Then, as we drove off, dayomed if she didnt come trotting after us.
Well, we left her there and hopefully she will be there when he comes through tomorrow.

Anyone with dog sense have any ideas?

[img:left][Linked Image][/img] [img:left][Linked Image][/img]

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin