Originally Posted by lastround
Originally Posted by USSR1991
Buying and melting pure antimony? Believe me, you don't want to go there. There are any number of high antimony alloys that will easily mix with your pure lead and tin. If you insist on going with Rotometals, I would suggest their Super Hard Alloy which consists of 30% antimony. Personally, I buy linotype from sellers on the internet forums for much, much less than Rotometals' price.

Don

Hi USSR1991,
Please explain why I shouldn't melt and mix raw antimony into an alloy. (other than cost). I already have the lead and enough tin for the project. All I need is about $60.00 worth of antimony if I can alloy it to come up with about 7000 bullets. That is pretty cheap shooting.

Easy, in it's pure state it's highly toxic.
"Antimony toxicity occurs either due to occupational exposure or during therapy. Occupational exposure may cause respiratory irritation, pneumoconiosis, antimony spots on the skin and gastrointestinal symptoms. In addition antimony trioxide is possibly carcinogenic to humans".
Buy it pre-mixed with lead in which it becomes an alloy that is stable. In addition, it completely eliminates the need for a 1100 degree furnace.

Don

NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor