I still have almost a box of 30-03 Silver Tips.Back in the 50's that is about all anyone in the PA mountains used if they had 30-30.Most were 170gr,but some preferred the 150 gr.I don't remember them being all that explosive, but it has been awhile. I left home and moved to NM in1964 ,and only got that rifle 4-5 years ago when my father passed away,along with what ammunition was in the gun cabinett

In 1966 I killed my first elk with the Rem Bronze point, .308. I don't have notes as to the weight,but I suspect the powder was 4064.
I clearly remember he hunt though.

Opening day in NE NM south of the Latir Lakes region. First light,we came upon three bull elk.Flip of the coin,I had last shot.First kill was with an .06 , next with a .270 and then me.By that time the bull was heading down to the timber as we were above timberline. He was out there quite a ways and down at a fairly steep angle.First shot took him down thru the back, liver, angle forward I found the bullet in the hide down below the front knee.Looked like it came out his chest and then into the leg. It had little deformation on the point,but other than that the only marks were the rifling. When hit,the bull went about 50 yards and stopped in a small stand of trees.I went down,within 150 yards and shot it again in the neck, .It dropped. That bullet passed thru so I never found it. 3 bulls down in the first 15 minutes of the season.

I don't remember any other kills with that bullet, but I am sure it took several deer.

Another popular bullet back then was a Norma 130 gr in 30 cal.I loaded it for my 308. It had a silver color jacket on it, but I don't recall the material and it was boat tail. It was pretty explosive on deer,but very effective

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles