Originally Posted by BWalker
I'm going on a 3 day PD shoot with my father this summer. What would be a good rig that won't break the bank?. I'm open as far as cartridges and rifle brand goes.

Depending on how you want to roll...

A heavy-barrelled AR is a whole lot of fun in densely populated dog towns, but you'll be taking frequent breaks to keep the barrel from overheating. It wouldn't be my choice for a one-rifle PD battery for that reason.

I've heard a lot of very positive feedback CZ and Ruger varmint rifle owners. Some people have good luck with Savage, but I've seen some terrible quality come out of the factory in friends' rifles.

I really like having a combo of bolt action rifles and AR's in a good dog town. A rotating shooting bench is also a game-changer, in my opinion.

Regardless of rifle choice, I'm a big fan of the .204 in a PD rifle. It shoots flatter than the .223 and the difference in cost is pretty minimal with comparable ammo. If you're going for a dedicated PD rig, the .204 is my hands-down favorite. The .223 offers more versatility if you want to use the rifle for other endeavors.