"For years after that I continued to use the -275 and the -256 in all kinds of country
and for all kinds of game."
- W.O.A.E.H. (page 6.)

"I was using at that time a very light and sweet- working Mann.-Sch. carbine, -256 bore and weighing only 5\ lb.
With this tiny and beautiful little weapon I had extraordinary luck, and I should have continued to use it in preference
to my other rifles had not its Austrian ammunition developed the serious fault of splitting at the neck. After that discovery
I reverted to my well-tried and always trusty 7 mm. Mauser."
- W.O.A.E.H. (page 94.)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

the following from -Karamojo Safari- (page 14-19 of prologue)

" As prosperity descended upon me, resulting from my hunting, I began to arm myself with rifles of various calibers
embodying my own fancies and requirements. Among these there arrived for me in Central Africa, after many months
of travel and many difficulties, a very refined little Mannlicher-Schonauer .256 with a goodly store of solids. I meant to
try it out as an elephant gun. It weighed five pounds empty by dint of some machining-away of the action and cutting-
down of the barrel. -Of all the weapons I have owned, this was certainly the most beautiful. The stocking, bluing, and
sighting had been done by an artist—Fraser of Edinburgh..... I shall never forget the unpacking of that .256 in the wilds
of the African bush, the ripping open of that tin- lined case that looked so incredibly small. There, wrapped in grease-
proof paper, lay the oily little rascal. Out in the hot sun it was but a moment's work to strip off the mercurial grease Fraser
used for protecting his steelwork on tropical voyages. What a thrill just to handle it. As it happened, we were in the midst
of good elephant bush..."

"...Examining each case, as I always did, I filled my belt. Finding no faulty cases, I strode joyfully off into the bush,twirling
around that dandy little gun. -Well, luck was in and we came on a party very intent on working a wild orchard of heavily
laden trees. -Under-foot all grass had been burned off and was now replaced with numbers of wild, sweet-smelling flowers.
-Their scent, mingled with elephant dung, urine, and the buzz of countless insects, seemed to make a quivering jelly of the
air, quite intox-icating to the hunter. -The elephant were rather scattered and on the move from tree to tree, so they did not
give the rifle the chance that a slumbering group all bunched together would have afforded. -Nevertheless that little .256
laid them low with a shot apiece— all brain shots. Was I delighted? -Here was the perfect rifle,strong enough for the heaviest
game and yet small enough for the tiniest antelope, or for shooting the heads off guinea fowl. -There was one survivor from
that first encounter.- The .256 and I legged it after him. In a surprisingly short run he brought us among another lot, also
somewhat scattered, and all listening intently to what the rather flustered new arrival had to tell them. -Whether he had not
much to say or whether they disbelieved what he told them, I don't know, but at any rate they were not alarmed enough to
take flight and only stood around listening from time to time and, occasionally, evacuating.- I had killed twelve good bull
elephant with one shot each in the brain from all angles except the stern quartering shot when a large bull elephant was seen
in open bush. -The ground was so clear that I actually sat down to take the shot forty paces distant from the animal—a most
exceptional thing to happen.- Usually there is something intervening and almost always the shooting is off-hand in Africa.
- I made absolutely certain of that grand bull and squeezed off. Click! A misfire!........For several years after this affair I stuck
firmly to the 7 millimeter for elephant. Always loaded with solids,....For some years I continued to use the five-shot 7 millimeter
Mauser with a ten-shot .303 as a sort of reserve."

" I had, besides my .275, a .303 with a ten-shot magazine—an excellent elephant rifle." -Karamojo Safari-(p.62)

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.