Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
I use #5 shot, but three things are more important than shot size:
1. a dense pattern
2. limiting your shots to a range that will kill the turkey.
3. maintaining your composure during the shot.

Many hunters make the mistake of thinking their shotgun will do the same thing under field conditions as it does under range conditions. But under range conditions, you have a measured yardage (as opposed to a field judgment), a clear shot to the target (as opposed to the possibility of unseen saplings being in the way), and a completely relaxed shot (as opposed to the nervousness of shooting at a live target).

Steve.

Maker of the the Northern Scratchbox turkey call.

Very good post, especially number 2. We hear and read about those 60 yard kills, and how great a certain shell will kill a turkey at that range. I have killed several birds over 50 yards, measured distance, not estimated, and while I had the confidence in myself and my gun to make the shot, afterwards I realized that was almost too far. If someone just wants to kill a turkey, then they don't care how they do it. If someone wants to hunt a turkey, then they pride themselves on calling that bird in as close as possible, then taking the shot. I get a much bigger thrill knowing I called a tom in and killed him at 25 or 30 yards, than I do anything else. At this distance, shot size doesn't really matter.