You have to take this on a case by case basis. I just had the barrel shortened on a 1957 vintage 99F 308 that was in above average condition except that the barrel had a bulge behind the rear sight and a ring around the bore. The wood was really good and I swapped it to a 99F 250-3000 that had a recoil pad and battered wood. I'm in the process of changing the 308 into a straight stock with a straight lever. If you have a rifle like switch's there is nothing wrong with resurrecting it. I have a really rough first year production short rifle (?) that came from the Sweetwater Sheriff's department with brown paper glued to the stock with the name of the guy they took it from in the 1950's. I would never molest this rifle even though it is UGLY! It has some serious history. I am adamantly against "restoring" original well worn rifles. They are still collectable even if they are well worn. They are actually more interesting than pristine rifles. It makes me wonder what the story is on them.
Just thoughts from someone who considers himself a serious collector. David

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]