Originally Posted by Asmartpollock
Ok starman, crs, and 007fj tell me what it is that you like about the 338 federal. I can get factory ammo (fusion) at cabelas and a couple other factory loads at gander mountain. I hear good things about the fusions out of the Fed. If I go with the Fed I would like to be able to push a 210 partition to about 2650 and other 200 grainers to 2700 or faster. Would that be possible with this cartridge? I haven't started reloading yet but I plan on it soon after getting the rifle. Whichever one I choose.

From your choices I would pick a 338 Federal for these reasons.
1. Main use is deer
2. A 180gr bullet at 2600-2700fps will absolutely pancake a deer.
3. I am thinking a 200-210gr bullet will handle everything else.
4. You are going to reload, uses less powder, and does not need premium bullets.
5. If you ever decide to get a suppressor, it would be real easy to develop subsonic loads.

I love reading the Whelen advocates posts. But I just cannot drink the cool aid. My 338-06 will do everything the Whelen will do. If I need to go bigger, the Whelen is not the answer.

If I was going to do a 35 caliber, it would be a 358 Win which is a niche/cult cartridge. Been there done that. Or a 358 Norma mag, which is not legal for DG in Africa. Why put up with that much recoil?

Maybe I am lucky that I have never been drawn into the 358 club.

Last edited by CRS; 04/24/17.

Arcus Venator