Originally Posted by SBTCO
Originally Posted by watch4bear
transformers

Are they the fix? Is it really that simple? I don't know, just asking.

Its a good start. The last time I read a report on this issue the big problem was the supply of replacement transformers both at the local level and regional substations. Things may have changed in the last few years(doubt it) but there was no surplus of transformers. They were purchased as they were needed and there was only one company that supplied them.

Damage to the more complicated electrical infrastructure would still a friggin' mess but at least the electric co.s could get power going again if there were enough transformers staged across the country that could be plugged back in. This would at least help with water treatment, pumping, sewage, possibly gas stations and truck fueling( food transport etc.). Otherwise we're SOL.

Power companies are taxed on their inventories. That is why there are not greater numbers of replacement transformers stockpiled. The power plant I worked for had piles of boiler tubes inventoried because they got a deal on them when prices were low. They later sold all but a few because of taxes.

NRA Benefactor Member

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizenry still gets to vote!"