I couldn't agree more about 2016. For us though, I think two things happened. Little background first. We've been hunting in elk in Colorado since 1996 and in the same spot for the last 5 years, last year being the 5th year. Hunted 2nd season the first year at this spot, and 1st season every year after that. Over those years weather has varied from 70 degrees to 15 degrees and 18" of snow.

2016 started off super warm, and then dropped 40 degrees and snowed. We started to see some elk and elk sign after the snow fell. Two issues though, first was the amount of hunters. In 2016 I saw more hunters opening day, and everyday thereafter, than I did in the previous 4 years combined. It was seriously like some secret got out or 5 new outfitters moved into the area. Crazy insane the amount of people considering it was a draw only season. We walked 56 miles over the season, including being 6 miles away from the nearest road at times and still ran into hunters. I'd rather get a tag every other year, than deal with all those people on a draw only hunt.

The other issue was the timing of first season. Seems like it was super late, even in line with 2nd seasons of previous years. All the elk tracks we saw were moving down in elevation. Unprecedented behavior from the previous four years.

We are giving it a shot again in 2017 and have fingers crossed 2016 was just an anomaly.