Looking at doing a "cheap as possible" Alaska hunt. Either solo or with one other guy for Sitka deer. I was considering a combined deer hunt/fishing trip to POW Island. My thought was to drive to western BC (Price Rupert) and catch a ferry to Ketchikan>> Hollis. That way I could have my truck and take all the gear I'll need or want. I plan to bring a freezer to haul the meat back. I plan for a stop at GNP and Jasper. Considering fall 2018.

Google says that Denver to Prince Rupert, BC is 34 hours. I think the drive would be a great adventure and I'd plan to camp out in a quick tent until I get to POW, then pitch a bigger all-weather tent with stove. I've a got a relative in Craig that can probably can put me onto some decent areas and hook me up with me a skiff.

Figuring about 12 days gone.

Planning $500 for gas, $870 for licenses (2 deer tags + fishing), $900 for ferries. I'll bring some food with me in the coolers/freezer. Another $1,000 for miscellaneous expenses.

Total budget about $3,300

Is there a better way to do this? It looked like getting vehicle ferried from Bellingham was a lot more expensive.

TIA

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 04/28/17.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]