I own four water filters.

I use the Platapus GravityWorks when I have to filter for a crowd, like a boy scout troop. The gallon bags make it good for filtering a lot of water when you have time. Coupled with a few one gallon milk jugs, the system works pretty good. But it's the heaviest system that I own.

Of course I own a Katadyn Hiker Pro. It's the standard by which all other filters are measured and it's the fastest system. But you have to pump it and that gets especially boring and time consuming if you have to filter several gallons.

I own a Sawyer Squeeze Filter which I have converted to a gravity filter. I squeeze the first quart then let the rest gravity flow while I'm heating water. The largest bag they offer is two quarts and that's kind of limiting. But this system is the one that I use the most. I haven't used a sawyer mini. But the standard Sawyer Squeeze filter is the easiest to back flush because it comes with a plunger (looks like a hypodermic needle) made for that purpose.

I also have a Rapid Pure Scout filter and it's the lightest filter that I own. I use it as a gravity flow filter right into a Nalgene bottle. I have to attend to it constantly while it's working because the containers are small compared to other filters. I suppose that I could use the larger containers from the Platapus system or the Sawyer system, but I haven't gotten around to trying that yet. You can insert it into the hose of your water bladder. But I don't use bladder.

I use to own a Katadyn Base Camp Pro. It leaked out of the bottom of the bag. I sent it back and they sent me another one. The filter was prone to clogging. I sold it because I didn't trust it. The filter is housed inside the bag and I think the in-line systems works better.

One disadvantage of the bags is that you have to have flowing water or deep water to fill the bags with water. The Katadyn Hiker Pro will work in an inch of water.

I have started carrying an empty milk jug tied to the outside of my backpack. This allows me to filter water in camp, not at the stream.

[Linked Image]

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.