The .40 was merely an attempt to gain mass in a smaller 9mm platform. If they could have done it with a .45, they would have.

Cooper and Guns and ammo experimented with improving the Browning HP many years ago with a .40 caliber cartridge. They succeeded in gaining some energy and delivering a little extra mass, but the gun needed to be modified a bit. It was interesting, but most hand gunners at the time, weren't all that intrigued.

Even Cooper with his obvious (and earned) bias toward the .45acp, realized that in the triad, power was 2nd to accuracy, and more important than speed, whether the caliber was .452, .40 or .356.

I don't, and never have owned a .40 of any manufacture. But I've shot a bunch and respect their accuracy and power. I just couldn't get excited. Just like the .327. Why?

Use what you want, but don't expect to find some answer to a question that can't really be answered. Which is better? In many cases, depending on the application, a .22lr is just fine. A far better question would be, what the hell reason exists for the .380?

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain