Originally Posted by Commissioner
My son & I are going on a 7 day safari for plains game in South Africa. I understand that "tipping" is customary for good service. My question is "who gets tipped in addition to the PH and what is the amount". I realize this is a personal issue but I would like have some knowledge of the practice. Thank you for your time and effort addressing my question.

Ask your PH what is customary, and you can decide after that.

If you go to other threads on this topic, you will find I have some strong opinions about it. I like to tip the PH well for a safari gone well, but I do not expect that I spend hundreds of $US to fully support his entire network. My daily fees should cover the use of the staff. When $50/month is good month for somebody living in the bush in Zambia or Tanz, I balk at coughing up $200 for each staff member, as was once suggested for a 12 day hunt.. Trackers, skinners and cooks at usually at the top of the totem pole and get beter tips, others fall down the line.

If you are a smoker, cigarettes passed around judiciously are very welcome. I suppose even if you don't smoke, you can pass them around.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo