Like many here, I have tried out a bunch of "long range" capable configurations. Of course, many were too heavy, too much recoil, too lightweight, awkward stock fit in various positions, and the list goes on and on. Taking all of my experiences (mistakes) and needs (mid-weight, 600+ yards, lopes, deer, elk), moderate recoil etc. brought me to considering the 6.5's especially the 284, '06, and 260AI cases. A few months ago a fellow member alerted me to a Stainless Model 70 New Haven push feed 30'06. I had never seen a SS PF in person and I jumped on it and then debated between 284 and '06 and due to ready made and quality brass, went with the 6.5x284.

Well, then I got anxious to get it rolling - and thankfully McMillan had "ready-to-inlet" Win Hunter's in Edge fill ready to go and had it cut to my specs and to me in 4 weeks. Hart kicked out a 8-twist SS dupe of Douglas #3 in 6 days! And all was then sent to Lee Christianson (Redneck) and he worked some magic and had it back to me quite promptly.

[Linked Image]

Specs:
Action: M70 SS PF
Barrel: Hart SS #3, 1.5" shank, 25"
PT&G bottom metal
McMillan Win Hunter w/ EDGE
Talley LW x-lows
Bushnell LRHS
Weight: 8lb 12oz

I couldn't be happier with the fit, finish, and feel of the rifle. Props (again) to Lee on this one. The rifle, despite being a tad heftier than my others, balances great and handles like a lighter rig.

I loaded up some 143gr ELD-X to lightly kiss the lands at 3.175" over some 4831sc.
At the range I fired three factory 120BTs to get on target, cleaned the barrel and then sent four of the ELD-Xs down range.
I was pleasantly surprised, to say the least. With other rifles to shoot and having forgot my chronograph - I happily set the 6.5 aside for another day. If this load continues to shoot this well and clocks north of 2,900 I'll call it a day and fill some arks.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I continue to be impressed by the LRHS scopes in tracking and optics. Thanks to Lee for the build and also to "aalf" for the insights on the clambering/cartridge.
Hopefully this will be one of two rifles that make the trip to southern Colorado in October for mule deer.
Happy shooting all.

Last edited by TDN; 05/06/17.

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"