Originally Posted by Poconojack
IMO, an extra hole automatically relegates the gun to 'shooter' status and devalues it by at least 50%....

The only way I would agree with that statement is if it was a pristine rifle in a rare chambering or configuration. If it was one of the more numerous rifles like a standard 30-06, 270, or 243 it will make some difference, but 50% is an overstatement. I've seen way too many Pre 64's bought, sold, and displayed to buy into that. Let's say you find a Pre 64 Pre war 30-06 in say 80% condition. For a prewar that would be considered pristine as anything better than that would be suspiciously like a re-habbed rifle. I would put the value of a prewar in that condition in this area to be around $700 or so, possibly a bit more. D&T'ing a hole in the rear bridge for a scope mount isn't suddenly going to make this a $350 rifle at any place I've seen them for sale, in my experience. Probably more like a $550 price tag and possibly a bit more depending on who you are dealing with.

The OP has to decide what he wants and accurate information would probably be helpful in that decision. If it turns out to be a big stumbling block, buy a Win Classic and build it like you want. If I wanted to build a custom on a Pre 64, I would just look for a beater and build away. There seems to be plenty of them around these days. I passed one up at a gun show 3 weeks ago for $500.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.