Actually, I used a spirit stain but instead of wiping it off after applying, I did the opposite: I applied a generous amount of stain, immediatejy grabbed a piece of 220 grit sandpaper and vigorously rubbed in the stain. Only after the whole stock was treated this way all over, did I wipe off the excess, let it dry for an hour and repeated the process. 3-4 times of that, a 24 hours wait, a light sanding and then a few coats of boiled linoil thinned with turpentine, letting it sitt for a minute between every coat before wiping off the excess and finally thick boiled linoil in the same manner, only instead of wiping I rubbed it hard with the rag when taking the excess off and let it sit an hour before applying the next coat instead of a minute. Lastly, a few hours after the last coat of linoil, I took a clean soft rag and really rubbed it to a nice satin sheen. I could have continued vith coatings and polished more, but I did not want it shiny. If I did, lacquering might have been an option too.