Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
We live in a very small western town.. Just this morning I was on my daily walk, and one of my friends stopped to visit.. He ask to see my jframe 3" .357.. During our visit we pretty much agreed it was great protection for our quiet little town..
This afternoon I stopped in on the coffee group, to chew the fat for a couple minutes... One of the guys is a retired highway patrolman & former sheriff of the county.. As the conversation went on, he explained just how dangerous these small towns have become.. Here we have a major drug problem & just a bit farther west gangs are posing a real threat of serious violence.. He said they are gradually moving our way.. I always knew the local hot springs attracted some real scum, but wasn't aware of the other serious problems.. I knew dope was always present in town, but since I retired, I have lost touch w/ the doings around town.. He also felt the local officers were not keeping the public aware of serious problems..
Guess it is really time to consider my daily carry weapon!

A few months ago I was talking to a lifelong friend who is a leo in a small town. It used to be that nothing much ever happened there (well, they did have the annual anvil blasting) but now they're on the main route for cartel drugs headed to Colorado. He told me that if the legal price of marijuana in Colorado was $20 the cartel just sold it at $15. A fellow leo was killed by a druggie in that town a few months ago.

Retired cat herder.