Between my slope job and going back east to help Dad out on my last R&R, it's been seven plus weeks since I've been to the range. I headed out early this morning with several rifles, a thermos of coffee, and a couple sandwiches.

After I finished testing some centerfires, I set up to check out Dad's old Winchester 67 and my Marlin 39 with all the various brands of 22 I have on hand. During the 22 shortage I bought what was available with little regard to what brand it was. I sorted through it all yesterday and found I had 14 different varieties in Federal, Winchester, CCI and Remington. I shot them both with open sights but will shoot the Marlin again tomorrow with a scope and the 14 choices.

When I was back home last R&R, I was helping Dad prepare for an auction and to eventually move to a senior apartment. He sent me home with the Winchester 67 he bought as a young man, probably around 1946-48. I don't know if it was new or used at the time. He used that 67 to teach me broth and I to shoot. We carried it many miles chasing, rabbits, squirrels and woodchucks. We also carried on our traplines and dispatched a lot of raccoon, fox and coyote with it.

I set up at 25 yards and shot five round groups with each variety. The 67 loved the old yellow box Winchester Super X standard velocity. I picked up two bricks at a gun show 20 years ago when there was no shortage. I've been shooting it sparingly since then and have about 3/4 of one brick left. It seem fitting Dad's old 22 likes the old Winchester ammo the best. CCI's Small Game load and their Velocitor came in a very close second.

The Marlin liked Federal's HV Match the best with CCI's Velocitor and Standard Velocity almost as good. Tomorrow with the scope I'll see how well all the varieties shoot and if any of the bigger groups were me and not the ammo.

Here's a few pics. Thanks for looking.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.