Originally Posted by T_O_M
What defines "best"?

I'm very fond of .17s. If I were being strictly practical, I'd keep my current .17 HMR and own nothing else smaller than a .25-'06. The distances here are generally short and most of the shooting is at rodents slightly smaller than a prairie dog. The number of shots fired at things the .17 HMR won't handle well are few enough that using a .25-'06 for them doesn't create any issues....

...If I lived somewhere else with a different mix of varmint sizes and / or different shooting distances, the answer would surely be different.

I think my next varmint rifle project will being life as a .223 and get rebarreled to .17 Remington.

Tom

A good, sensible answer. The primary consideration is what you are using it for. That changes with the region.

I bought a 223, but don't use it. I have two 222s, and they do everything for this area. Coyotes, groundhogs (the tubby marmots - up to 6 lb.) and foxes. I've tried all kinds of bullets, but settled on 40 gr. Sierra BKs. Load 'em. Shoot 'em. This bullet works for everything. I have never had a 300 yd shot where I'm living now, and this bullet with H4198 is a 250 yd everything gun. Like you said, Tom, it does everything for where I live. And that's the key.

There was a time when I tried other cartridges, but got rid of them all. My 222 Rem load develops 48k pressure, according to my computer, which is supported by the fact that case stretching is a non-issue. 3/4"@100. It's golden. But may not suit the requirements of others.

Edited to add: around here, 223 brass was made to be rechambered to 6x45mm. It seems better suited for the purpose. smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]