Yeah, but I don't think it's the hesitation so much as building consistency. If, say, I'm shooting over decoys I have all the time in the world to mount the stock properly and get lined up right. Sort of like trap where you can use the middle bead to get lined up before calling for the target. Stock length doesn't matter quite so much. But upland I need to be able to shoot quickly while tracking the bird, same mount every time (as best I can anyway) without having to think about it. The little bit of stretching when the LOP is what many would consider too long helps get your eye in the same position relative to the barrel every time. Whether or not that's the correct alignment has to do with other stock dimensions. But even with an imperfect natural alignment, which is usually the case since most shooters use a standard dimension factory stock, you make the same adjustment every time.

I think it helps with a smoother, more consistent swing too (swing with your body and not your arms) but I never really thought through that. But then I've seen videos of Tom Knapp hitting almost perfectly with anything he picked up. Now if only a manufacturer would finance our practice sessions... smile

(If you stop your swing for anything, getting a good mount or whatever, you've got bigger problems.)

Last edited by nighthawk; 05/18/17.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.